Luk 6:27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
Luk 6:28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
Have you ever known somebody that you just did not like - somebody it was impossible to like. Maybe they made fun of you, bullied you, or just acted in ways that you found utterly repulsive. I knew him too! I will never forget hearing a lesson about enemies and thinking: "you want me to do what for my enemies - pray?" After great thought on the matter, I gave in and started praying that "Mr. Repulsive" would move away. Somehow I do not think that was what I was supposed to get from the lesson.
Some of Jesus's words have been hard for me over the years. I especially found "love your enemies, do good to those that hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you," to be very difficult instructions. I mean, how can you love someone that steals your soccer ball and then kicks it on the school's roof, or tries to staple your blue jeans to your leg, or...?
I prefer the words in Lev 19:18: "...love your neighbor as yourself.," or even better, (as Jesus quoted in Mat 5:43): "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'" I think I found it easier to stick to the methods of the Old Testament where God commanded the punishment of Israel's enemies (see Deu 23:3-6). That made a whole lot more sense to me than "love your enemies."
How easy would it be if we were only called to save the ones we love. (Luk 6:33): "And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that." Our call is much more (Luk 6:35-36): "But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. "
Today starts a new year. What road will you travel this year? The Sermon on the Mount offers many road signs. Unfortunately, many do not take the time to read them or maybe they just do not like what they have to say. I resolve for the new year to not just take the shortest or most convenient path but to to do a better job following he road map or the street signs that Jesus left for me.
Additional Study: Luke 22:47-51, Romans 12:14-21
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment