One of the most difficult things that I have experienced as a Christian is doubt. Over the years my doubt ranged from the existence of God and Heaven/Hell to the necessity of baptism or acts/forms of worship. I was most filled with doubt when I relied on human wisdom and logic or my emotions and feelings. I have spent hours upon hours contemplating God and trying to apply my human brain to grasp spiritual matters - ignoring the fact that God is not bound by human characteristics or impressions. How many times have you heard: "Why would God care if we....? That makes no sense." Maybe you have heard this one: "I just feel like God cannot care about such trivial things.... It helps me...so I do not think that is what he meant." Sadly, I have shared those ideas on so many topics - even on topics that I was once rock solid in my beliefs. If ever an encouragement given by Jesus was directed at me, it would be reflected in this passage.
John the Baptist, whom was the greatest among those born of women (see verse 28) was in Prison and was probably anticipating his imminent execution. Can you imagine the fear that John was probably feeling. Fear of not only death but the fear that he had not fulfilled his prophetic purpose. How could he know? He had said that Jesus was the Christ but Jesus was not acting like the Messiah that the Baptizer had described. The Messiah that was going to cleanse the threshing floor (Matthew 3:10-12) of the ungodly Jewish leaders. John clearly needed some form of assurance that Jesus was the Christ.
John sent some of his disciples to ask the very question that was plaguing his mind (verse 20): Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?' How could this happen? John was the one that said (John 1:29 -34): The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel." Then John gave this testimony: "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.' I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God." Now John was looking for some reassurance.
Jesus's response was simple and one that we will discuss in more detail tomorrow. In verses 21 -23: At that very time Jesus cured many who had diseases, sicknesses and evil spirits, and gave sight to many who were blind. So he replied to the messengers, "Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor. Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me."
Jesus responded for John's benefit and the benefit of the crowd that was listening. Without stealing thunder from upcoming thoughts, Jesus said I understand your doubt let me ease your concerns, and by the way, for those of you listening, even though John had doubt - he is still a great spiritual leader. It is great to know that we can have doubts. Oswald Chambers said: "Doubt is not always a sign a man is wrong, it may be a sign that he is thinking." Doubt does not equal unbelief. Doubt is from the mind while unbelief is choosing to not accept God's word and to not obey.
Just because we have doubts does not make us bad Christians. John the Baptist was a great Spiritual leader and this instance of doubt did not take that away from him. J.W. McGarvey put it this way: "One act does not make a character, one doubt does not unmake it."
Have a blessed day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment